This is a 4 months(17 weeks) course known as
Electro Technical Officer Course (ETO Course) (without high voltage) (As per STCW 2010).
RLINS is approved by Directorate General of Shipping(DGS) to conduct this ETO Course.
On successful completion of the course, Electrical/Electronics Engineers gain eligibility to be employed in
Merchant Naval Ships.
The course is structured and conducted as per DGS guidelines with practical demonstrations by Simulators,
Audio Visual aids and valuable hands-on training.
The curriculum includes 5 basic STCW courses viz
* Elementary First Aid(EFA)
* Personal Survival Techniques(PST)
* Personal Safety and Social Responsibility(PSSR)
* Fire Prevention and Fire-Fighting (FPFF)
* Security Training for Seafarers with Designated Security Duties (STSDSD)
Practical hands-on training on live equipment and simulator based training is given along with theory subjects.
On successful completion of this training at R.L.Institute of Nautical Sciences(RLINS), the student will be
eligible to get Continuous Discharge Certificate (CDC) from Shipping Master, Mumbai.
After successful completion of the course at RLINS and required sea time, candidates are eligible to appear
for Certificate of Competency(COC) examination conducted by Directorate General of Shipping, Government of
Every sea going vessel must carry atleast one Electro Technical Officer depending on the type of vessel.
Since Electro Technical officer is an essential requirement, there is a heavy demand in the International Shipping Industry.
RLINS will assist successful candidates in finding placement.
Prime Mover (Diesel Engine)
Engine Room Auxillaries
Steering Gear Systems
Cargo handling system
Monitor the operation
Technology of Electrical materials
Electro Hydraulic & Pneumatic Control Systems
Transformers, shore supply for ESB
Normal & Emergency lighting systems
Description of electrical controls on main and auzillary engines
Troubleshooting in electrical domain of engines
Starting a Generator
Paralleling, Load sharing and changing over of generators
Switch Board relays and transducers
General Computer Usage
Planned Maintenance System
Engine Monitoring System
Electrical safety practices on Board Ship
Causes of Electrical Shock and Precautions to prevent
Construction and operational characteristics of Ship Board electrical system and equipments
Construction and Operation of Electrical Machine Equipments
Application of Safe Working Practives
Electrical and Mechanical Knowledge,Skills,Safety and emergency procedures
PLC – Introduction and Application
Fault Diagnosis – PLC,Embedded systems
GMDSS – Introduction
Radar – Maintenance & Brief Theory
UMS Operation – BNWAS
Maintenance & Repair of Deck & Cargo equipment control system
Windless & Mooring winches
Tank Gauging System
Fixed Gas detection system
Alarm Monitoring console
Accommodation Power System
Ships Regfrigeration System
Job Profile awareness
ISO Quality System
Inter-departmental Operations & protocols,motivation,teamwork, & Risk assessment
Communication & Work Delegation
Fire detection & alarm system
Types of Fire Sensors
Hazardous Zones & Areas
1. A pass in Senior Secondary Examination / +2 / or equivalent vocational educational course with
i. Minimum 60% aggregate in Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics from any Government recognized board and
ii. Minimum 50% marks in English either in Class X or Class XII or Diploma or Degree.
2. Passed three years Diploma with 60% marks or four years Degreee including lateral entry, with 50%marks in Electrical Engineering,Electronics Engineering,Electrical And Electronics Engineering, Electronics And Telecommunication / Communication Engineering or Electronics And Instrumentation Engineering.
Diploma/Degree courses should be from any institute approved by AICTE or State Board Of Technical Education.
Age : Maximum 35 years.
Medical Examination : Must be medically fit.Directorate General of Shipping approved doctors identified by the Institute will conduct the medical Examination
Eye Sight :
1. Distance from vision (unaided 0.5 *(6/12) in each eye or 0.67*(6/9) in better eye and 0.33*(6/18) in other eye; and
2. No Color Blindness and Night Blindess shall be tested by Ishihara test chart.
* values given in Snellen Decimal Notation.