General Purpose (GP) Rating
The basic objective of the course is to provide Pre Sea training that would balance knowledge, practical skills, safety consciousness and efficiency for those who wish to take up seafaring as a profession to serve as ratings on merchant ships.
The Duration of the course is 6 months. On successful completion of this course, the candidates will be eligible to join in Indian/Foreign Shipping companies as a Deck/Engine crew. With further sea service, they would be promoted as Motorman/Oil man, Fitter, Deck serang, Able-Bodied Seamen, Bosun. They can also be promoted to officer level with certain service and qualification requirements on passing the examinations conducted by DGS.
Are you looking for an exciting and excellent career in Merchant Navy? Then, you are in the right place. Choose a profession that will reward you in many ways.
Take up the General Purpose Rating (GP Rating) Programme and set sail on a career that will take you places. Getting your dream job in Merchant Navy is a step away. Quickly take a look at the following criteria’s to know better.
For course details, entry standards and availability call +91 98940 07317 / +91 73391 32159
(a)Pass with aggregate 40% marks in 10th standard with science, Mathematics as subjects.
(b) The candidates must have secured minimum 40% marks in English in 10th standard exams.
(a)Pass in 2-Year I.T.I course from Govt. Approved institute with minimum 50% aggregate marks in final year.
(b)The candidates must have secured minimum 40% marks in English in 10th standard exams.
(a)Diploma or degree holders.
(b)Pass with aggregate 40% marks in 10th Standard with Science, Mathematics as subjects.
(c)The candidates must have secured minimum 40% marks in English in 10th standard exams.
- The candidate must have passed the 10th standard from a recognized board.
- The diploma or degree must be recognized by any State or Central Government or the AICTE.
The maximum age limit for candidates belonging to “Scheduled Caste” (SC) / “scheduled Tribe” (ST) Category shall be relaxed by 5 years.
The maximum age limit for candidates belonging to Non-creamy layer of “other Backward Classes‘ (OBC) Category shall be relaxed by 3 Years.
Course Duration: 6 Months
Frequency: 2 Batches every year – January and July
Xth Std. Pass from Govt. recognised board with subjects English, Mathematics & Science with 40% aggregate, English 40% in Xth / XIIth.
XIIth Std. (any stream) Govt. recognised board with 40% aggregate. English 40% in Xth / XIIth but with subjects English, Mathematics & Science at Xth Std.
Pass in 2 year ITI Course (Fitter / Machinist / Mechanic / Welder / Turner) approved by DVET / NCVT with minimum 40% aggregate marks in final year of ITI & minimum 40% in English in 10th / 12th.
Minimum 17.5 years of age and maximum 25 years of age as on the date of commencement of course.
Maximum 27 years of age for degree or Diploma holders.
Physically fit and should meet the medical requirements as specified by DGS guidelines, eyesight 6/6 in each eye without visual aids. No colour blindness
|Course||Next Batch Commencing||Fee Structure|
|General Purpose Rating
GP Rating – Career Path
- Entry Educational Qualification – 10th Standard With 40% marks in aggregate and 40% Marks in English at 10th Standard.
- Selection Age – Minimum 17.5 years
- Medical – Merchant Shipping (Medical Examination) Rules 2000, as amended
- Pre Sea – GP Rating course
- Sea-Going Service
- 36 Months of Sea Service which includes 6 months supervised bridge watch keeping duties (documented in an approved training record book)
- 24 Months of Sea Service with approved SSTP from DGS approved DLP programme (effective 01.10.2008)
- Certificate Of Competency
- Second mate (foreign going)
- 18 months as officer in charge of navigation watch
- Written & Oral exam as First Mate (foreign going)
- 18 months as officer in charge of navigation watch or 12 months as chief officer
- Oral examination as master (foreign going)
- Promoted as master of a ship