B.Tech Marine Engineering
This four year degree course is affiliated to Indian Maritime University (IMU), Chennai. The course is also approved by Directorate General of Shipping (DGS). Meets the requirements as prescribed by the Training Education and Assessment Programs [TEAP] manual of the DGS. On successful completion of training from RLINS the student will be eligible to obtain necessary documentation from authorities and join merchant ships as a trainee marine engineer. Five Basic Safety Training Courses (PST, PSSR, EFA, FPFF & STSDSD), which are compulsory for any one who aspires to join the merchant navy, will be conducted during semester holidays.
Course duration B.Tech.(Marine Engineering) – 4 year (Residential)
- A pass in Senior Secondary Examination (10+2) or its equivalent from any Govt. recognised Board (passed in first attempt).
- Minimum 60% aggregate marks in Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics (PCM).
- Min. 50% marks in English either in Class X or in Class XII.
- Candidates applying for B.Tech. Marine Engineering Course also need to appear for and pass the COMMON ENTRANCE TEST (CET) conducted every Academic Year by the INDIAN MARITIME UNIVERSITY (IMU).
- Pass in IMU – CET.
The candidate should meet the following eligibility criteria of IMU as well as DGS.
1) Pass in +2 with 60% aggregate in Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics.
2) Minimum 50 % marks in English either in 10th or 12th Examination.
3) Pass in IMU All-India Common Entrance Test (CET) conducted by IMU every Academic Year ONLINE.
4) Medical Fitness certificate issued by DGS approved doctors.
Age as on the date of admission on August 01, 2022 shall be as follows:
- Minimum age – 17 years
- Maximum age – 25 years
For SC/ST candidates, Relaxation in:
- Age: Maximum age relaxation is for five (5) years.
- Marks: 5% relaxation in PCM marks, which will not be applicable to English marks.
Medical Examinations are conducted by recognised Directorate General of Shipping (DGS) approved Doctors.
To get DGS approved doctors list Click Here…
Standard of such medical examination is general in nature and can be obtained from the Doctors on request.
- Distance vision (unaided 0.5 *(6/12) in each eye or 0.67*(6/9) in better eye and 0.33 *(6/18) in other eye; and
- No Color Blindness : Shall be tested by Ishihara test chart.
- No Night Blindness.
- A Second Eye test will be conducted by institute’s Ophthalmologist at Madurai to ensure complete compliance with the requirement.
- If you fail in this second eye test, the admission will be withdrawn and the amount paid will be refunded after deducting administrative charges.
* values given are in Snellen Decimal Notation
For 4 years B.Tech (Marine Engineering)
Dr.Lakshmipathy Merit Scholarship
Rs.50000/- for first year candidates who have scored 95% or more in 12th Standard examination in PCM or those who are in the top 100 ranks in IMU
First year scholarship amount will be awarded as cheque in Student’s name subject to remittance of complete 1st year course fees.
Course Batch Commencing
Fee Structure Payment / per year including
Accommodation & Food Charges